Countdown To The Anthology of Benin History:A Rare Peep Into The Other Side Of The Current Oba Of Benin
“When it comes to human dignity, we cannot make compromises”- Angela Merkel
SPECIAL Report by Chief Osagie Mike De Cerutti
With barely few days to the historic launching of book, titled “ The Benin Monarchy: An Anthology of Benin History” – billed for Saturday, October 20, 2018 at Oba Palace, Benin City, Edo State, by 10 am prompt
WORLD LEADERS is delighted to present to our global readers some interesting fact to know and note about the young and current Oba of Benin Kingdom
The Oba of Benin, or Omo N’Oba, Emini mini mini is the traditional ruler of the Edo people and head of the historic Eweka dynasty of the Great Benin Empire. The ancient Benin homeland(not to be confused with the modern-day and unrelated Republic of Benin, which was then known as Dahomey) has been and continues to be mostly populated by the Edo (also known as the Bini or Benin ethnic group).
The title of Oba was created by Oba Eweka I, Benin Empire’s first ‘Oba’, who is said to have ascended to power at some time between 1180 and 1300. The Oba of Benin was the Head of State (Emperor) of the Benin Empire until the Empire’s annexation by the British, in 1897.
. The current king picked the name of another great king. Oba Ewuare 1 (1440-1473) and is seen by many as one of the greatest Obas of Benin Kingdom. He ascends the throne after Oba Erediauwa who was born in 1923, son of Oba Akenzua II. Before being crowned he was known as Prince Solomon, Aiseokhuoba, Igbinoghodua Akenzua. He attended Edo College, Benin City, Government College, Ibadan then Yaba College, before going to King’s College, Cambridge to study Law and Administration.
A Oba of Benin, Omo n’Oba n’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare II was crowned and handed the staff of office by then Governor of Edo state, Corade Adams Oshiomole .
In this special epistle, we hereby present to you few amazing things you should know about the new Oba, previously referred to as Prince Eheneden Erediauwa.
* He was born on October 20, 1953. Coincidentally, he was officially presented with the staff of office as Oba of Benin on his 63rd birthday on 20th October, 2016
* He attended the famous Edo College in Benin from 1965 to 1967 and also bagged a degree in Economics and Sociology from University of Wales, UK.
* He has served as Nigeria’s Ambassador to many countries including: Norway, Angola, Sweden e.t.c
* He is an astute business man with several interests in the petroleum, agro-allied and construction industries. He is the founder of South Point Royal School, Benin, and the non-governmental organisation, Benin Royal Dynasty Trust.
* Oba Eheneden is married to three wives: Princess Iroghama ( Obazuaye N’erie), Princess Iyayiota ( Obazuwa N’erie) and Princess Ikpakpa (ohe N’erie).
* He enjoys reading, humanitarian duties, watching animals, and tending to the needs of people from far and wide
- Osagie is the Publisher @ http://worldindustryleaders.blogspot.com/2017/04/g-ceruttiworld-industry-leaders-onlin.html
He can be contacted via :